League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Dominion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Capture Point is new? (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1058412)

Nervous Virgin 08-04-2011 09:28 PM

Capture Point is new?

Quote:

This update will feature not only a brand new map, but also an entirely new game mode showcasing innovative gameplay never before attempted in the MOBA genre.
Actually, it was attempted and is still implemented with the -cp mode in Dota. It flopped big time. I appreciate the hyping, but it's definitely not the first attempt at something like this.

That being said, I'm still hopeful this works out, and not trying to take the wind out of Dominion's sails. Adding an entire dedicated map to the mode is a much better idea than throwing random points on the standard map to capture, like Dota did.

It's good to know they're branching out from the standard push to the enemy base mindset, and if this is done well it seems like it could really be quite fun.

Kraxik 08-04-2011 09:30 PM

That may be true, but with the elements of the Capture point gameplay and LoL gameplay style combined, It's a new experience. I think that's what they meant by this. Either way, it's going to be sick.

Dreampod 08-04-2011 10:15 PM

DotA had a terrible implementation and Demigod (which was hampered by other problems) have both done this before so yes it is a bit of hyperbole. However Dota just shoehorned it onto the standard map without any changes which is why it failed while the playstyle was relatively successful in Demigod but the server issues and cheating made the game a failure.

I think the fact that they have a new map designed around the capture point concept along with balance changes specifically for the map will let it be the first successful implementation of the mechanic.

Nervous Virgin 08-04-2011 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreampod (Hozzászólás 12448702)
DotA had a terrible implementation and Demigod (which was hampered by other problems) have both done this before so yes it is a bit of hyperbole. However Dota just shoehorned it onto the standard map without any changes which is why it failed while the playstyle was relatively successful in Demigod but the server issues and cheating made the game a failure.

I think the fact that they have a new map designed around the capture point concept along with balance changes specifically for the map will let it be the first successful implementation of the mechanic.

Agree completely. Demigod had such good implementation of the idea, but other issues hampered it.

I really think it could be great, but it seemed a little... full of itself to claim it was the first attempt.

Rebonack 08-04-2011 10:29 PM

The major issue with CP in Dota was that it was just slapped onto the same map without actually changing any objectives. The game just got a few new buffs apart from the river runes.

It's being built from the ground up here.