League of Legends Community
12

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Dominion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Those who claim Dominion won't be as strategic as Summoner's Rift are dead wrong. (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1058108)

Silmerion 08-04-2011 07:00 PM

Those who claim Dominion won't be as strategic as Summoner's Rift are dead wrong.
 
Without discussing the competitive scene, and without discussing tournament presence or the lasting impact of Dominion on League of Legends play, I'd like to take a few moments and discuss the perception that Dominion won't be "as strategic" as Summoner's Rift, because it's a harmful misconception that will foster a lot of annoying elitism if left in place.

People who hold to the idea that Dominion will be "more casual" often offer three key points of evidence. I'll address both in turn:

1. "Riot has stated that Dominion was designed to be more appealing to casual players."

This is, to put it plainly, a straw-man argument. In the interview which those who hold this opinion typically cite, Zileas says that the game will be accessible to casual players, not just hardcore LoL fans. This says nothing about the level of strategic depth the mode offers. Of course they're going to say that Dominion is accessible to newbies. Riot is debuting a brand-new game mode, with a shiny new map, and that sort of news, following headlines that highlight LoL's enormous player base, is the kind of news likely to attract new players. Irrespective of the depth of strategy that the game mode eventually offers, Riot doesn't want to alienate a single potential player. Why would they? Portraying your company as being only for hardcore fans gains you nothing. Riot is both a business and a collection of artists, and both professions only benefit from bringing in new blood: every noob is a potential hardcore fan later on.

And anyway, Dominion WILL be more accessible, but not for the reasons most people imagine, and certainly not due to a lack of depth. "Capture and hold" game modes have been present in first-person shooters for years now, so many gamers will be familiar with the concept; that alone is enough to make it more accessible.

2. "Games are short compared to Summoner's Rift; there will be less time for strategic maneuvering."

I cannot at all see why shorter games would lead necessarily to less strategy, and I know a thing or two about short-burst strategy: before I came to League of Legends, my main video game genre was fighters, in which a full match will almost always take less than five minutes to complete. Fighting games are not less strategic for their short duration; in fact, I'd say that the speed makes fighters more strategic, because poor positioning becomes infinitely less forgiving. Consider a game of Dominion for a moment: in Summoner's Rift, a moderately lost teamfight might mean that the opponent gets a dragon, or pushes up to a tower. There's time to recover from that. But in a game mode where every minute counts far more than it would otherwise, there's less time to recover: a moderately lost teamfight in Dominion might mean that Heimer and Shaco get to set up nests and hold a capture point so imperviously for the next five minutes that your team is put irreversibly behind. That might be a bit of an exaggeration, but in a shorter game mode, it follows logically not that there will be less time for strategy, but that careful strategy will be of far more importance.

3. "This isn't what a MOBA looks like. It won't be strategic like a MOBA is supposed to be."

Of course it won't be. If you say this, you are absolutely on the money. But that doesn't make it less strategic. In fact, it's my favorite part: In Dominion, with the focus placed squarely on the champions and their slick, varied abilities, gameplay will be less about coordinated flanking and more about knowing how to cooperate as a team, who on your team combines best together, etc. That, to me, is very cool.

TL;DR: Try before you judge. Dominion will be very strategic.

BadgerBarrage 08-04-2011 07:04 PM

+1
Good read.

YoshioPeePee 08-04-2011 07:04 PM

if players host dominion matches and are able to determine team sizes it can be both very casual and very hard core strategic

tf2 for example has 15 people per team casual fests and 6v6 high strategy pro matches

depending on what riot does with dominion it can be very similar to this

maxicus 08-04-2011 07:40 PM

I think dominion will be a bit more competitive than people think.

quick fast matches require good coordination in groups and a lot of team skills. the fact that this is so fast paced (more xp more gold) means that you have to really be on the up and up.

where you can make a come back due even though you screw up in SR that is not the case here. a screw up or slip can mean defeat. more so if you get aced it can be all over as the other team just starts pounding nodes.

team fights are going to be critical as they will mean victory or defeat.

BadgerBarrage 08-04-2011 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxicus (Hozzászólás 12444804)
where you can make a come back due even though you screw up in SR that is not the case here. a screw up or slip can mean defeat. more so if you get aced it can be all over as the other team just starts pounding nodes.

team fights are going to be critical as they will mean victory or defeat.

I was under the impression that this was actually the opposite of how it was going to be.

One of the reviewers even mentioned being in a team where they made(might have just been that they got close to) a 200 point comeback.

The quick cap times make it more focused on individuals capping/defending points against pairs or individuals from the other team trying the same.

With the reduced respawn timers, the effect of a death is minimized as well and they've put a lot of effort into stressing during their interviews that dying isn't so much a negative anymore. The important thing is how much time you can buy during your life by holding off the enemy team before you die. You lasting an extra ten seconds can allow your other teammates to get into position, or even capture a point.

In terms of the OP's statement, de-emphasis on death won't subtract much from the strategical elements. While it might not matter so much IF you die, what matters is what you can gain from having the enemy try to kill you. EG:time for your teammates to cap points or for your current capture points to get a few more ticks.

Cold Fusion 08-04-2011 07:53 PM

Anyone that has played WoW and been in Arathi Basin knows how fun it is, and how competitive the game mode can be.

Destrukthor 08-04-2011 08:02 PM

I don't see why people like being so upset about stuff! I'm super excited!

Kikinep 08-04-2011 08:03 PM

Can i get upvotes for no reason?

BadgerBarrage 08-04-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destrukthor (Hozzászólás 12445773)
I don't see why people like being so upset about stuff! I'm super excited!

Too true :D

MissCheshire 08-04-2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alidardeath (Hozzászólás 12445261)
I was under the impression that this was actually the opposite of how it was going to be.

One of the reviewers even mentioned being in a team where they made(might have just been that they got close to) a 200 point comeback.

The quick cap times make it more focused on individuals capping/defending points against pairs or individuals from the other team trying the same.

With the reduced respawn timers, the effect of a death is minimized as well and they've put a lot of effort into stressing during their interviews that dying isn't so much a negative anymore. The important thing is how much time you can buy during your life by holding off the enemy team before you die. You lasting an extra ten seconds can allow your other teammates to get into position, or even capture a point.

In terms of the OP's statement, de-emphasis on death won't subtract much from the strategical elements. While it might not matter so much IF you die, what matters is what you can gain from having the enemy try to kill you. EG:time for your teammates to cap points or for your current capture points to get a few more ticks.

So.....are you saying that the mode will primarily be ruled by tanky DPS?


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:34 AM.
12


(c) 2008 Riot Games Inc