League of Legends Community
1234511 ... 13

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Dominion (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   My Feelings about Dominion as a Mode (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1055493)

IS160e0d9b9b351fe75e2ad 08-04-2011 08:22 AM

My Feelings about Dominion as a Mode

In short, I'm not particularly keen, but let me expand, as I don't mind this to be mindless QQ.

The crux of my argument revolves around Twisted Treeline. Twisted Treeline is the short, fast paced tanky dps map. Maybe not as fast paced as what Dominion will be, but nevertheless, I believe this feeling will be captured in a similar way.

Now, I really hate Twisted Treeline because of these points. I focus my game around strong lane dominance, yet I, and I imagine many others, feel that most of the truely good and interesting play comes in late game teamfights, which obviously won't occur on these two. Not only that, I don't want to play tanky dps. I hate playing them, I hate facing them, and the thought of 2 tanky dps very slowly killing each other camping on a control node doesn't get me too excited.

I don't think it's inherently wrong that you've tried to make a new mode, in fact I take that back, it's worth applauding. However consider this. It is obvious Dominion is much more comparable to Twisted Treeline than Summoner's Rift. It is also obvious that Summoner's Rift is vastly the more popular map. So, why would you make one that's more like the less popular one?

The best way I can think of phrasing it is this. Right now, the general reaction is a few people happy, most people 'meh', a few people very unhappy. Imagine the reaction you would have got if you had announced the imminent release of Magma Chamber. Seriously, don't be biased, imagine the genuine response.

That is the point I wished to make. Your expanding the game making it stretch, thin and shallow rather than deeper. Build on what you have, then by all means think about expanding into new modes.

Lastly, it is very clear Dominion is intended to be a fun, mess aroundy kind of mode. This obviously means if you want to play competitively, or play at any kind of high level, you will be playing a hell of a lot more Summoner's Rift for a very long time. Not cool.

Thank you.

EDIT: people seem to be thinking I'm making assumptions from the Riot trailer, which I'm not. If you go around various gamesites like gamespot or PC gamer you'll find many interviews with Riot where they go into vastly more detail. That's where I'm getting my info from.

IS160e0d9b9b351fe75e2ad 08-04-2011 08:40 AM

Bump.

Officer Combine 08-04-2011 08:41 AM

IMO, we wanted a 5v5 MOBA map...Magma chamber. Why? Because most champs are balanced around 5v5 mobas. That's why 3v3 balance isn't good. Why ARAM isn't balanced. This announcement is just silly.

Orlandu 08-04-2011 08:41 AM

cool story bro

keep tellin it at the parties

Trylobite 08-04-2011 08:47 AM

I agree, don't care about new game mode at all. Replays? Observer mode? Magma Chamber? Those, I would have been excited about.

GundamArios 08-04-2011 08:49 AM

true... expected new map to be similar to SR but was given a minigame instead that riot had been working on whole year instead of adding more depth and dimensions to SR-like map

kokxx 08-04-2011 08:52 AM

Dont criticise what you havent even tried yet...

On topic: I am fairly sure that Riot wants to keep SR the most common game mode. I understand dominion as a "play for fun" mode, which you can play when you have not enough time left for a "real" LoL match, but dont want to troll some bots in custom or Coop vs. AI.

Also, click the following link for additional information: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...minion-preview

Moreover, you say that Dominion will be closer to TT than to SR, this might be true, but i would bet that TT is closer to SR than Dominion is to TT, because it's a completely different game mode.

Backyard Mime 08-04-2011 08:54 AM

You like to assert that things are clear and obvious when they're not. Why is it "obvious" that Dominion is more similar to TT than Summoner's Rift? You're just making unfounded assertions.

IS160e0d9b9b351fe75e2ad 08-04-2011 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backyard Mime (Hozzászólás 12417097)
You like to assert that things are clear and obvious when they're not. Why is it "obvious" that Dominion is more similar to TT than Summoner's Rift? You're just making unfounded assertions.

Because it will be shorter, like Twisted Treeline, as they have said in the videos. Also, because anyone with a brain can see that tanky dps and high mobility will be the main champions used to protect and control nodes, the exact same champs that dominate Twisted Treeline.

M0J0E 08-04-2011 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AxeC (Hozzászólás 12417498)
Because it will be shorter, like Twisted Treeline, as they have said in the videos. Also, because anyone with a brain can see that tanky dps and high mobility will be the main champions used to protect and control nodes, the exact same champs that dominate Twisted Treeline.

It's still a 5v5 game mode, so that's more like Summoner's Rift than Twisted Treeline.