League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   "High ELO" (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=101982)

wheelo 04-28-2010 11:45 AM

"High ELO"

I'm relatively new to the game. My overall record is 65-40. My question is, how many wins above losses do you have to get before you start getting into the high ELO games?

Is there a way to find out the records of the top 500 players?

I would assume someone with a 50/50 ratio of wins to losses would be considered to have an average ELO. Is this a safe assumption?

Carados 04-28-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelo (Hozzászólás 1152271)
I'm relatively new to the game. My overall record is 65-40. My question is, how many wins above losses do you have to get before you start getting into the high ELO games?

Is there a way to find out the records of the top 500 players?

I would assume someone with a 50/50 ratio of wins to losses would be considered to have an average ELO. Is this a safe assumption?

Elo isn't based on W/L ratio, it's based on the Elo of the players on the other team.

It's possible to have a negative W/L ratio and have a very high Elo.

But, if people in your lane are auto attacking creeps and people aren't buying merc treads, chances are you aren't high Elo.

wheelo 04-28-2010 11:47 AM

merc treads are that good huh?

LoLplayer1 04-28-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelo (Hozzászólás 1152304)

They are as good as the level you are playing at... I doubt high elo games ever have 2 melee dps begging to get cc'd, what is fairly common in lower levels

Carados 04-28-2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Pretty much, yeah.

UCD2 04-28-2010 12:41 PM

Quote:

about the same as seck just a lil below that

Moredot 04-28-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carados (Hozzászólás 1152286)
It's possible to have a negative W/L ratio and have a very high Elo.

Provide an example.

Carados 04-28-2010 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moredot (Hozzászólás 1153266)
Provide an example.

I can't provide an example, because we don't have a list of everyone's Elo and W/L ratio.

However, it's fairly easy to see if you get into a situation where all of your wins are in a situation where you would gain many Elo points for winning and all of your loses are in a situation where you would not lose Elo points for losing, you can have a very high Elo with a negative W/L record.

For example (making assumptions about the LoL Elo system with the numbers), if all of your loses were in ****ty match-ups where you are against the Top 5 players in the game and only lost one point for losing, but all of your wins are against people of the same Elo, so you'd gain 20 points for a win, it would be fairly easy to get a high Elo with a negative W/L ratio, assuming you played the Top 5 players more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

(Elo is a much more transparent system in HoN, if you play that for a bit you'll begin to understand how it works)

Karnikula 04-28-2010 03:44 PM

it's easy

imagine you have an elo of 1500
your first match is versus a team with the very exact elo
you win and gain, let's say 10 elo
next you again play against a team that has 1500, although you have 1510, you win again
but only gain 8-9 elo (let's say)
then you have 2 matches versus some people with 1600 elo (!)
and you loose 1-2 elo for loosing both

you just increased your elo form 50:50 w/l

edit: you know you're at high elo when upon saying "trist mid mia" people actually react and assume safer positions

LoLplayer1 04-28-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karnikula (Hozzászólás 1154520)
you know you're at high elo when

Somebody should make a joke topic with this title... Sort of like imdb's "What I learned from this movie"