League of Legends Community

League of Legends Community (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/index.php)
-   Guides & Strategy (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [Guide] Beginner's Guide - Ashe (http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=100879)

ValentinaLuna 04-27-2010 11:51 AM

[Guide] Beginner's Guide - Ashe

Table of Contents
.1 - Introduction
.2 - Abilities
.3 - Summoner Skills
.4 - Runes & Masteries
.5 - Skill Build
.6 - Item Build
.7 - Early Game
.8 - Mid Game
.9 - Late Game
.10 - Tips/Tricks

.1 - Introduction

First things first -

ELO equals the 'personal' skill level. Dependant on wins/losses/player strength - And tries to set you up with challenging games when you do happen to solo Queue.

This is not a guide made for High ELO games, not for level 30's, no one starts at level 30 with entire game experience, we all have to start somewhere - And you simply cannot compare high to low ELO games.

I am no High Elo player either. At most I'd consider myself Mid-ELO, as I've been frequently playing with level 30 players since level 10. 5v5 premades against other premades as well as random teams of 5 level 30's. I at least like to tell myself there must be a reason I get invited to those, probably performing decent at the very least.

Ashe is somewhat of a squishy, so you should be playing careful throughout the entire game. Although you end up dishing out quite a bit of damage in the later game, you still shouldn't go toe-to-toe with other heroes - Unless you are certain that you can beat them. And if you are unsure about it - Don't do it.

The most important thing beforehand is knowing wether or not the Champion's playstyle fits yours. Some Champion's might be labelled 'OP' and can decimate teams if done properly - But if they do not fit your playstyle, you might just have to pick a different. Rather chose a strong/helpful champion that you can play well with, than jumping the bandwagon with physical carries yet not knowing how to properly play them/use them to their fullest ability.

.2 - Abilities

*Passive : Focus

While out of combat for 3 seconds or more, Ashe's critical strike chance increases by 3/6/9/12/15/18%, removed after next attack.

Obviously a nice passive - specially in the late game. It makes your first hit whenever you return from shopping is a sure crit. If you'll follow this guide, you end up making at least decent use of it.

*Toggle : Frost Shot

Ashe's basic attacks slow her target's movement speed by 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 / 35% for 2 seconds.

Incredibly useful, if used correctly. This ability should only be used if one of the following 3 situations are happening
1 - An enemy champion tries to run away
2 - An enemy champion chases you/a teammate.
3 - Your inhibitor has broken and the enemy spawns super minions. Slow down the massive ones.

Elsewise, keep this toggle off. But be ready to click it any time. It can be useful to already to toggle it on when you're about to enter a teamfight. This might waste a bit off MP while hitting enemies while they are stationary, but you have less to worry about - Unless you're good at it. Feel free to toggle to your needs then.

*Active : Volley

Ashe fires 9 arrows in a cone dealing attack damage +40 / 50 / 60 / 70 / 80. Volley also applies Frost Shot.

Your very first ability - A harassing tool at early game, a nice farming tool at late game. In my opinion - aside the undeniable nice damage you'll be dishing out in team fights, this is very useful for helping teammates escape a gank or pick off runners even through a wall. Many try to escape through the jungle/bushes, so if you get well enough to predict where they move (in most cases the shortest way) - Fire the Volley, if you hit you can pick them off with Frost Arrow/Melee.

*Passive : Plentiful Bounty

Ashe gains 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 extra gold whenever she kills any unit.

Sounds quite useful, but if you re-check how many npc's you kill in a game - Ain't that many.
(My usual is around 200-250. That makes a whole of 1000g if you could max this skill at level 1 - but you sacrifice a lot of offense for that. Only put points into it when no other skill is available)

*Ultimate : Enchanted Crystal Arrow

Ashe fires a missile of ice in a straight line. If the arrow collides with an enemy Champion, it deals damage (250/425/600) and stuns the Champion for up to 3.5 seconds, based on how far the arrow has traveled. In addition, surrounding enemy units take half the damage and are slowed(3.5 seconds).

Mastering this skill can be game changing. Try not to fire it randomly and if you see a teamfight coming up - Judge your enemies carefully. If you are fighting against one of the following then your crystal Arrow should be saved till they use their ultimate (Given that no one else on your team has stun/is good enough to detect the proper moment)

Katarina - Death Lotus. If you see her starting to spin like mad, fire it off at her. You can gank her easily if she is in point blank sight and has just wasted her Ultimate.

Nunu - Absolute Zero. You'll notice it by the red ring around Nunu. If you see him channeling - fire that thing. If you don't have it on cooldown and no one interrupts him, it can quite likely end up in a whole team death. It deals massive damage. Remember - You only have a 3 second window to react.

There are other quite painful ultimates, but those are the worst you could face.

More to this at point .10

.3 - Summoner Skills

Obviously Flash is one of the most incredible escaping mechanisms ingame, but starting at level 1 - You won't get that till you hit level 12. So what else to pick?
As Ashe is quite squishy, defensive mechanisms are always a plus.

My recommendation are either - Ghost/Teleport or Ghost/Cleanse.

Ghost allows you to escape, it can be incredibly helpful to get away from the 5 man gank you see incoming. It however also allows you to chase down enemies that try to escape.
This is more of a place holder till you get to level 12 and pick up Flash.

Teleport allows you to be ready in action far, far faster if you screwed up/died/got ganked, it also allows you to jump cross map to help defending a turret. In some cases it even helps you escape, cause 4 second teleport is faster than the 8-10 second recall cast time. And in some fights this can be quite crucial. Rather waste a 4 minute cooldown on Teleport than give the enemy team a free kill. Should be used with caution though, try to fade from side through a bush/etc.

Cleanse helps your general survivability. Many early gankers like to take Exhaust/Ignite. Cleanse can remove either if they try to chase you/finish you off with Ignite. Also has a nice cooldown. Can dispel stuns/slows. Overall, simply rockets your survivability sky-high, if you don't waste it at the first scratch.

.4 - Masteries & Runes

Red/Marks - Armor Penetration. Use tier 1 runes till level 21, when you can get tier 3. The little increase is not worth the IP spent.

Yellow/Seal - Mana Regeneration/Level. Same as above.

Blue/Glyph - Mana Regeneration/Level. Same as above.

Quintessence - Armor Penetration. Same as above, first tier 1 - And once you are 21, tier 3 runes.

As for Masteries, It's quite useful to as a beginner go for more survivability as you get the grasp of the game/hero.

Either
3/3 Hardiness - 1/3 Hardiness
1/3 Resistance - 3/3 Resistance
4/4 Evasion
1/1 Nimbleness

That requires level 10. Once you hit that it's best to try out on your own, as you start to get a feel for the game.

.5 - Skill Build

Levels - Skill chosen.

01 Volley
02 Frost Shot
03 Volley
04 Frost Shot
05 Volley
06 Enchanted Crystal Arrow
07 Volley
08 Frost Shot
09 Volley
10 Frost Shot
11 Enchanted Crystal Arrow
12 Frost Arrow
13 Plentiful Bounty
14 Plentiful Bounty
15 Plentiful Bounty
16 Enchanted Crystal Arrow
17 Plentiful Bounty
18 Plentiful Bounty

.6 - Item Build

Items should be chosen depending on the game/enemies you are lined up against. But a basic setup goes as following

Rank 1 Boots - 2 Health Potions - 1 Mana Potion
B.F. Sword
Berserker Greaves + Last Whisper(or just Recurve Bow)
Cloak of Agility
Infinity Edge/Zeal (Whichever you can afford to buy) - Finish Last Whisper if you havn't yet
Zeal/Infinity Edge (Whichever you haven't bought)

Now think. -
Do you lane up against one of the following? - Jax, Sivir, Ashe, Udyr?
-> Get Sword of the Divine
Do you find yourself harassed/slowed quite frequently?
-> Sell the Berserker Greaves and buy Mercury Treads
Do you find yourself at low health quite often? Hate initial Crowd Control spells on you?
-> Banshee's Veil
Are you dominating? Or is the Enemy stacking Armor?
-> The Black Cleaver
Are you being slain by Physical/Magical Spells quite easily?
-> Frozen Heart/Force of Nature

Once that is done, finish your Phantom Dancer.

Your final setup should look like :

1 - Last Whisper
2 - Berserker Greaves/Mercury Treads
3 - Infinity Edge
4 - Phantom Dancer
5 - Black Cleaver
6 - Banshee's Veil

Do not let others tell you that Berserker Greaves are useless. They might be in high elo games, or when you get slowed/stunned/snared/rooted quite frequently. But if you don't see that happen, feel free to give up quite a bit of your survivability and instead go for more offense. A Smart choice however is to change them later in the game, depending on the team and your performance.

.7 - Early Game / Laning

Don't push. Don't Autoattack. Don't try for first blows. Don't waste your mana Volley spamming. Don't unnecessarily waste your summoner skills. Go mid.

Go for the passive aggressive method. Stay behind your npc's and only attack monsters at low health. Aim for those with 80%+ health missing. Once you are good at it you can farm entire groups by simply last hitting the npc's. That will result in either of the following :
- Your lane enemy does not last hit and ends up pushing the to your turret. That allows you to step a bit further out and harass him with volley/normal hits. (That's what we saved the MP for)
- Your lane enemy does the same. That way you can, if you keep moving and stay behind your monsters allow you to farm quite effectively. Remember to keep your range to not let him harass you/yet you can still last hit. If he gets too bold, fire a Volley at him. But be careful, if you are too aggressive you end up pushing to his tower and make yourself a viable subject for ganks/counter attacks. (That's what we save the Summoner Skills for)

- Most annoying opponents

Evelynn - She most likely won't solo mid, if she does careful when she fades from sight.
Mordekaiser - Let him push you to your tower, hit him if he is too close. His attack has a long range and you need to keep your distance. Don't try to take him down at this point. He'll outlast you or chase you back to the start.
Ezreal - Will skillshot you. Keep moving at all times and stay behind the monsters. Don't give him a clear line to shoot at you. The worst for Ezreal is if the enemy keeps moving/ducking behind npc's.
Tristana - She has a longer range than you and once she is level 6 be very careful and stay far away from her. She can jump-leap behind you and blow you towards her tower, giving you no real route to escape.
Dr. Mundo - You won't kill him at this point. Dodge his cleavers and you'll have no problem. But they do hurt a lot.
Sivir - Check for when she inches closer - Boomerang Blade is easy to dodge. Don't run into it. Counter-annoy her by running close and making her waste the Spellshield. Doesn't work on better players/if you did it too often.
Ryze - Stay out of range of his Rooting Ability. If it does catch you - cleanse. If not, you're in for a major beating.

- More at the Tips section.

.8 - Mid Game

Now you should have your Crystal Arrow - That allows you to start minor ganks as well as give your lane enemy a hard time.
I like to let him push me to the tower, then carefully aim the arrow and volley/frost shot hunt them back.
If they were at around 50-60% HP you might have a chance to kill them. If not - you will end up driving them away.
Keep farming to build up your items. If you want to help your teammates, ensure that you pushed to the enemy tower - That gives you a time window to return and protect your tower should it be counter pushed. But Teleport can solve that as well.

Don't waste your Arrow, however if you see a teammate at other lanes needing help - being chased or chasing an enemy, attempt a predicted shot at the enemy. The more you train with it, the more the enemy is predictable, you can surely raise your chances to a 50/50 to hit and miss. But that takes a bit of practice. A 5 second stun when being chased/chasing is changing the odds to your teams favor.

Remember it's better to lay off killing your lane enemy for a little while if your arrow can prevent an kill for an enemy or allow a kill for your team. Gold is important, do not give it to your enemy and try to rack up as much as you can for you and your team. ;)
If you see a team-gank forming, ready to go for you or your team initiates one, it's up to you wether or not you join in.
Teamfights are often used as a feint, allowing one single enemy to tower push for example. Your Crystal Arrow - carefully aimed can show your presence even though you're miles away.

.9 - Late Game

By now you should dish out some serious damage. An important thing by now is always staying behind your team. If you go too far in, you might just get ganked down - As you are very squishy and not built to be tanking heavy damage. You're useless when you're dead, so rather stay behind and shoot into the cluster. This also allows you to volley/slow the entire time should your team start to lose and attempts to retreat.
This however makes you very vulnerable to attacks from behind. So be careful.

.10 - Tips/Tricks

A way to make up for your lack of survivability is added map awareness.

Buy sight wards - (2 for 180g total) and place them in the 2 bushes left and right of the mid.This allows you to smell a team gank on you miles away and you can run back in time without snuggling the dirt.

If you went to shop and see someone pushed the tower, you can do the following - If executed properly can be quite devastating. Aim the arrow towards the one pushing and teleport up to a close minion. If this strikes - He's in for a 5 second stun and you can shoot at him as you like. However try to wait 1-2 seconds before you teleport, as an early teleport could warn the enemy, a late teleport however could waste precious time of damaging that playing.

Have fun trying! ;o
Comments and critizism welcome, but remember this guide is not meant for High Elo, but rather for beginners.

2340987523409872 08-06-2010 04:28 PM

Thanks, I'm going to start using ashe alot. awesome guide!

Zi0nized 08-06-2010 05:32 PM

Your items are okay I guess.

The rest IMO is totally off the map. You suggest being '' aware '' of ganks but then

1 ) You don't suggest clairvoyance as summoner skills

2 ) Even worst, you don't pickup Hawk shot until level 13 ????

The added gold is a BIG plus and having TWO 50-60 seconds recast sight spells is awesome. My suggestion is to pick up 1 level in frost arrow then level volley and hawk shot so you can potentially farm 300-700 gold more.

Also, this is a glass cannon build against any melee and I do not recommend it either if you are not VERY experienced. Gonna die, a lot.

Polaritie 08-06-2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zi0nized (Hozzászólás 2306266)

The rest IMO is totally off the map. You suggest being '' aware '' of ganks but then

The added gold is a BIG plus and having TWO 50-60 seconds recast sight spells is awesome. My suggestion is to pick up 1 level in frost arrow then level volley and hawk shot so you can potentially farm 300-700 gold more.

Also, this is a glass cannon build against any melee and I do not recommend it either if you are not VERY experienced. Gonna die, a lot.

He must not play Ashe much. I usually take 1 point in Hawkshot around 3 or 4 for the free Clair.

Zero400 08-06-2010 08:49 PM

Always get teleport so taht you can fire her ult from the base and teleport in for the kill. (FOr this you need to pay attention to who had cleanse)

Leirkov 08-06-2010 09:37 PM

This is a good beginner build. Very very well written. I'm glad someone's not writing a guide for level 30s expecting everyone to be in HotshotGG's games.

+1

Eko Eko 08-06-2010 10:20 PM

Thanks for the info!

ValentinaLuna 09-28-2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zi0nized (Hozzászólás 2306266)

1. I don't cause it's redundant on Ashe.
It was redundant back when I wrote the guide BEFORE HAWK SHOT WAS IN THE GAME. It's why it's still written as Plentiful Bounty.
And with the addition of Hawk Shot it is even more redundant now.

You want to focus on moment mechanisms to maxise mobility, or on defense.
Maybe Ignite - Although it's pretty useless on Ashe aswell.
2. Refer to answer 1. This guide was written before Hawk Shot was added to the game.

3. - level hawk shot so you can farm 300-700 gold more..
It is not worth it. I havn't tested the usefulness of Hawkshot, so I can't comment on wether or not it is useful to be maxed asap, but quite frankly - I don't believe so.
Ashe has always been incredibly viable without claivorance.

On the other hand, it really depends. If you're just that sleepy, unaware, clumsy etc etc that you get ganked 24/7 - by all means pick it. But awareness is a major part of the game. And for anything else, you got WARDS. USE EM, LOVE EM. Thank you.

I can proudly say I've been ganked less than 10 times in total, excluding team fights that went haywire and had me being jumped by the team of 5 on the retreat, or being the last to stand while raiding the base.

Please, before posting:

Check the Topic Date
Read the Topic
Have a clue what you're talking about

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero400
Always get teleport so taht you can fire her ult from the base and teleport in for the kill. (FOr this you need to pay attention to who had cleanse)

No, don't 'always' get it.

Do not get a summoner skill because it is possible to net you 1 kill in 1 rare situation.
I do not say Teleport is useless, it's one skill I do really recommend - But don't use it JUST BECAUSE you can get a kill through it using this technique that in most cases doesn't work anyway and makes you quite gankable if it is predicted. Use it if it fits your playstyle.

flintlockglock 09-28-2010 11:01 AM

You don't understand the value of Hawkshot, itlets you help your jungler control buffs and dragon.

The fact is, you're jungle can only afford so many wards early, hawkshot helps him out, and let's you check in between ward drops.

w,q,e,w,w,r is more appropriate for ashe these days

also, where's the farming capability?

13 minions= 1 kill

You need Catalyst. Mana crystal should be your first item. Not only does it let you spam extra volleys, it turns into a catalyst on your first b. Catalyst keeps you in lane indefinitely. Letting you farm, farm farm, and can also be used in conjunction with timing minions deaths to give you a "clarity/heal" combo in fights, which can be dangerous especially in early game(also your opponent has no way to check for this)

ValentinaLuna 09-28-2010 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flintlockglock (Hozzászólás 3147623)
You don't understand the value of Hawkshot, itlets you help your jungler control buffs and dragon.

The fact is, you're jungle can only afford so many wards early, hawkshot helps him out, and let's you check in between ward drops.

w,q,e,w,w,r is more appropriate for ashe these days

also, where's the farming capability?

13 minions= 1 kill

You need Catalyst. Mana crystal should be your first item. Not only does it let you spam extra volleys, it turns into a catalyst on your first b. Catalyst keeps you in lane indefinitely. Letting you farm, farm farm, and can also be used in conjunction with timing minions deaths to give you a "clarity/heal" combo in fights, which can be dangerous especially in early game(also your opponent has no way to check for this)

If you farm early game using Volley, you're doing it wrong.

Mana Crystal adds a whole of 3 extra volleys. You got no chance to deal with enemy harassment. (Aside of standing far away and using Volley to.. ah I see what you did there)

I'll recap what I said about it:

.7 - Early Game / Laning

Don't push. Don't Autoattack. Don't try for first blows. Don't waste your mana Volley spamming. Don't unnecessarily waste your summoner skills. Go mid.

Go for the passive aggressive method. Stay behind your npc's and only attack monsters at low health. Aim for those with 80%+ health missing. Once you are good at it you can farm entire groups by simply last hitting the npc's. That will result in either of the following :
- Your lane enemy does not last hit and ends up pushing the to your turret. That allows you to step a bit further out and harass him with volley/normal hits. (That's what we saved the MP for)
- Your lane enemy does the same. That way you can, if you keep moving and stay behind your monsters allow you to farm quite effectively. Remember to keep your range to not let him harass you/yet you can still last hit. If he gets too bold, fire a Volley at him. But be careful, if you are too aggressive you end up pushing to his tower and make yourself a viable subject for ganks/counter attacks. (That's what we save the Summoner Skills for)

You are correct, it IS important to farm early game. And Volley CAN be a useful tool, but by NO means should it be your primary farming tool.

It it far 'MORE' important to DENY the enemy from farming, than just going to get Gold for yourself.

If you merely use Auto Shot to last hit, you rake up the money well enough - while the enemy will probably either auto attack or spam skills, push to your tower, thus be vulnerable, and you can most likely bring him to 50% health just due to volley + turret hits.

On the other hand, when the enemy also just last hits (which is rarely the case, as you will most likely get far more harassed when the enemy just last hits, simply because he knows how to play and saves his MP on disrupting you, not on farming mobs) use this to get as much money as you can, and then jump him early as soon as possible.

Volley, till it 1 hits or at least takes 80% of the mobs health shouldn't be used as a farming tool cause frankly, it's just not worth it in most cases.

Now if all minions have like 20% health and you can volley snatch em all away, go for it - I'd too.

Managing your MP, knowing when to use Volley, using it as an effective harassing tool is important. Using it to farm not really until later in the game. And even then it's questionable if you don't 1 shot minions with it, cause considering the build I posted you will be 1 hitting them, thus making volley a waste of mana. Cause if your volley can't kill em you'd still be needing to last hit them, thus you lost the mana used for the volley and the time used casting it.

And honestly. Albeit many many will disagree with me now -

I believe Phil Stone is a far superior laning tool than Catalyst. Catalyst can have health/mana go to waste, If you got 90% health and Catalyst restores around 30% due the number output. (theoretical values) - 20% of the health is wasted. Chances are you're never at full health though so Phil Stone is useful the entire time.

Phil stone allows you to wait out and regen health while Catalyst albeit giving you more health, puts you at risk when at low health. Your regen is low, and you need to wait till you level to get that boost.

As for mana - Phil Stone allows you better management using Volley/Spamming Volley, Cata gives you bursts.
(I recall Phil Stone even had gold regen, albeit low - it should be able to outdo half it's purchase price by the time you trash it)